Fair Trade Facts and Figures
- Over 1B of the world’s people live on less than $1 a day.
- Global fair trade retail sales were $4.7B in 2009, a 15% increase over 2008.
- In the U.S. in 2009, the sale of certified Fair Trade agricultural goods equaled $220M.
- In North America, retail sales of primarily Fair Trade crafts were 5% of all Fair Trade sales in 2009.
- 1.4 million producers and workers in 70 countries benefit from Fair Trade sales.
- $71M was distributed in 2009 for community development for Fair Trade producers and artisans.
Compiled from the Fairtrade Labeling Organization, Fair Trade Resource Network, and Fair Trade Federation.